Thursday, December 10, 2009

As per your requests.....

So Tex Mex Lasagna is not my recipe per say, but I have played around with it a little. The original recipe was taken from Dinners Done Right, which I am a total advocate for, but that's not what this entry is about. I may have also stumbled upon a similar recipe on the Cooking Light website in my quest for an image...

I am about to share how I make my award winning... ok, maybe not award winning, but relatively popular Tex Mex Lasagna recipe and an adaptation for crock pot. WooT for the Crock Pot Mod!  Also, this recipe can be made as a meatless meal... Not how I prefer it, but still quite tasty.

WHAT YOU"LL NEED:

1 can Tomato Sauce

1 can Black Beans, rinsed and drained

1 can Stewed Tomatoes (I use the kind with Chilies in them)

1 jar of Pace Chunky Salsa (here you can also choose your own flavor of salsa, but for liquid content, I stick with this brand)

1 small bag of Frozen Corn

1 bag (2 cups) Shredded Cheese (usually use Mexican Blend, but here again, plain cheddar or Monterrey Jack would be good as well)

Box of Lasagna Noodles (I use the Oven Ready or No Boil noodles from Barilla for obvious reasons)

-----HERE IS WHERE YOU STOP if you don't want MEAT----- (see also, boring)

Approximately 2 cups of Diced Chicken  (Now I get all Sandra Lee: Semi-Homemade here and use the grilled frozen strips because they only need a little chopping and they are ready to go into the dish. They are also precooked, which means I can worry less about contamination and more about preparation.)





TO PREPARE:


Ok since you probably know how to build a lasagna, I will only share this: There apparently IS a right and wrong way to stack the noodles.

So you'll be layering a little bit of everything in each layer. But make sure you put a little sauce in the bottom, and you can even grease/ spray you baking dish for (hopefully) easier clean up.

Bake this bad boy for about 30-45 minutes, depending on size and depth of the dish @ 450° F (Look for bubbly sauce and tender noodles.)

Should be perfect with a dollop of sour cream!

---- CROCK POT MOD -----

I use a 6 Quart Oval Crock Pot so four hours on low is enough for me. Should be enough for anyone assuming you do no more than three layers. If your crock pot is smaller, you may want to adjust the time.

Now I wish I had a beautiful image of a delectible layered lasagna to share here... alas, I don't BUT it would (and sorta does on a good day) look like this:


If you have tried this recipe with modification such as corn tortillas or added things like olives or chillies or green onions, I am sure it was great! Please let me know about it, I'd love to try your recipe. Thanks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis