Thursday, July 1, 2010

2 Minute Book Review: For One More Day

Estimated reading time for this post: 2 minute 17 seconds. Read it Later?

Book: For One More Day
Author: Mitch Albom
Audio book read by: Mitch Albom

I usually try to steer clear from those melodramatic, tear-jerker best sellers because they are usually so predictable. You know the ones, they are written by authors with names like Sparks, Picoult, Hosseini, and Niffenegger. Somehow these books always end up on my checkout list from the local library. The public has a love affair with sad stories that may or may not even be realistic. These authors have the magic equation of 1 parts believable or relatable characters, 2 parts absorbing story, and 3 parts sentimentality.

That said, I just finished one of these stories, having been sucked in by a Mitch Albom book. He is just about the king of sentimentality, and I am not certain he has written a story yet that wasn’t a about the sad yet life affirming event of death, or at least one that was popular.

(I do get tired of seeing all of his books say, on the cover no less, “Author of Tuesdays with Morrie.” If he hasn’t made buckets and buckets full of money on his other books yet, they he’ll never be considered a Best Selling Author.)

Anyway, this book was called ‘For One More Day,” and I would have to say that the title says it all. You know things are going to get sad when you only have one more day. Needless to say, I knew what I was getting into with this one.

I was surprised only once in the entire story and it was at the very end. I won’t give it away, but it’s safe to say the story was about a man, spending one more day with his mother. Sort of a “do-over” the main character gets to be with his deceased mother for a single day, learning valuable truths and lessons about life and his mother’s biggest secrets.

The story held my attention, but I am a sucker for stories about families that have been split by divorce, coming from one myself. It was a short listen (Audiobook) and I was only left with one question when the book was complete. I’d say that is pretty good, all things considered. The story turned a little preachy, like most of his books usually do, and there were the standard quotable inspirational lines.I can't say that I gained any insight into my own mother but there were a few moments where I could relate, but I have a sneaking suspicion this is all part of his formula.

My final analysis of this book is that was not terrible, and I appreciated a little change-up in the ending. Would I recommend it? Probably. Would I go out of my way to tell people to read it? Probably not. For me, it was just OK. Maybe I wasn’t in the mood for a mushy, meandering inspirational. My only defense is that I have a long commute and books on tape are better than the advertisements on the radio.

Feel free to leave me a comment. Maybe you actually LOVED this book and can't stand hearing anyone say something negative. Let me know.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis