Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Fluffy Rice & Chicken Bake


Prep Time: 5 minutes  Cook Time: 60 minutes  Servings: Makes 3-4

Nutrition per serving. (Nutrition based on 4 person meal.):


Calories: 349          Sugar: 2g
Protein: 23g            Carbs: 43g
Fat: 4g                    Sodium: 519mg
Fiber: 2g

It's funny, but I had thought I put this recipe up on my blog a LONG time ago. Not sure why I haven't but it's a staple in my house, and I got it from my mother. I see many variations online, but this is the one I use and I will include the substitutions.

This is such a flexible meal I have made it with pork chops, various types of "Cream of __" soups and 3-4 pieces of meat. It all depends on what you have in your pantry or fridge and how many people you plan to serve. I don't use cream of mushroom for allergy reasons, but that is what the original recipe called for plus the addition of mushroom pieces. I don't add those either.

What you need:
3 - 4 Chicken breast halves OR boneless pork chops
1 can of Cream of Mushroom/Celery/Chicken soup
1 - 1.5 cup of milk (I use the can to measure, and depending on the amount of rice I use, I'll add more or less) You could substitute water here as well.
1 - 1.5 cups of white minute rice
1 package of Onion Soup Mix


Preparation:
Lightly grease or spray a 9 x 13 baking dish ( I use glass)
Place rice in the pan
Mix "Cream of" soup, milk, and HALF the onion soup mix packet and place half this concoction into the pan with the rice. Mix.
Place the chicken/pork on top.
Pour remaining soup over meat.
Sprinkle remaining onion soup mix over the meat.
Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
Bake at 375°F. for 60 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside and the rice is tender.

Recipe Note: For creamier rice, increase the milk by 1/3 cup.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis