Wednesday, May 9, 2012

2 Minute Book Review: Before I Fall

Reading time for this post: 1 minute, 52 seconds. Read it Later




Book: Before I Fall
Author: Lauren Oliver
Audio book read by: Sarah Drew (Grey's Anatomy anyone?)

This book was the teen equivalent of the movie Groundhog Day (with Bill Murray). I was immediately drawn to the premise of having one day repeated until you finally "got it right." (Plus, I love the movie Groundhog Day.) Even though it was not an original idea, the story of Before I Fall was. It was an interesting concept having a the main character, a 16-year old girl named Samantha, initially be one of the antagonists. She's a mean girl. It was an fascinating look into the world of girl cliques and what turns a girl into a bully, and what lengths it takes to bring her back into civility.

What I didn't like:
I'll be honest. I didn't like how it ended, but I understand it's the author's prerogative to end the story any way she feels. I thought it was unnecessary, but I won't go into any further detail, lest I ruin the story for other readers. It irritated me that there were moments when the main character was strong and assertive, but would fall back into her old passive and weak ways so easily. This was her struggle though, and the main theme of the book. I don't feel like there was any real justice. The main character arch ends with Samantha a better person, but the rest of her clique doesn't receive punishment. There isn't even have an epilogue that sheds light on how the supporting characters have changed or improved.

What I did like:
The main character seemed more realistic to me than many other formulaic young adult novels, she is realistically flawed. I could believe that Samantha was too self centric to see her world in any other way than as a spoiled, superficial, petty, popular brat. But as the story progresses her redeeming qualities are revealed. Her ability to overcome peer pressure and to realize what really mattered to her in her life, (her family) and making amends. 

Verdict:
I'd recommend this book, particularly to teen girls who are living through the hell that is high school. I think that despite the ending, the content is valuable and would be a great tool in a classroom setting to bring up the topic of bullying. The story is aggravating but engrossing. Reading it, you simply must know if Samantha will change and grow up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis